Our goal for continuing this blog is to share our experiences living and traveling abroad as a family. We want to inspire people who may be considering the same and show that it is possible. You can follow your dreams and make living abroad a reality.
Although there are many other families who have lived abroad with many different circumstances, we think that our story is kind of interesting:
- We are both from the Midwest of the USA. We are not a split-nationality marriage.
- We're 30-something Gen-X-ers that have started our own businesses.
- We are in South America by choice. No job transfers, no family here.
- We've lived in 3 different houses, in 3 cities in 2 countries. Lived on the coast in Uruguay, the mountains of Bariloche and the edge of the pampas, in Cordoba.
- Hubby is a vegetarian living in the land of beef
- I've had Type 1 Diabetes for the last 10 years and use an insulin pump
- We have two little girls now (started this adventure with one!)
- Had a baby in Argentina (An unexpected home birth. We'll get to that story :)
- Our 5-year old that is completely bilingual.
- We speak English at home and Spanish everywhere else.
- Traveled with two Pugs from the USA and into Montevideo, Bariloche and Cordoba. Our oldest, Pablo, died this past June.
So, in addition to traveling with kids and pets, balancing work online with sometimes sketchy internet/electrical connections, a maze of doctors and insurance options and a rich family life, we want to continue the story and create an open dialogue for comments and questions.
Are you considering moving to a foreign country? Just in the dreaming stage? You can do it and we're here to inspire you with our story.